03 February 2011

FREEDOM OF SPEECH UNDER FIRE




The way things are going on this continent, I need to get in as much FREE SPEECH as I can.  There’s no question the FCC will be looking to regulate the internet soon, and finally every bit of information placed on it.  Please don’t be offended by the comments that follow.  Harsh language is used as subject matter only, and if you think you might be offended then please go NO further because this section is called FREE SPEECH and it resides on my own private piece of electronic real estate.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is being revised.  The word “n*gger” is being removed and replaced with “slave”.  That both upsets me to my core, and confuses me.  It doesn’t upset me because I am a racist.  I am not.  It upsets me because I am an American and there still exists an Amendment in the U.S. Constitution that says you can pretty much say what you want.  UNLESS, of course, someone takes exception to something written by one of our nations most iconic authors who has made a spectacular and lasting contribution to American literature. 


Twain used the derogatory term for a black man when he wrote the book published in 1885.  They’re actually going to pull a BACK TO THE FUTURE on old Huck’ and change the “n-word” to “slave” even though slavery was abolished 19 years before the book came out.  The 13th Amendment to the Constitution tidied that up in 1864.  You see, this Constitution is supposed to be our playbook.  But our playbook is being changed by the politically correct and I’ve had enough.


I read “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” in high school and it was meant to be a descriptive time-piece in American Literature.  Mark Twain was sharing his view of the social climate of our country and actually putting prejudice on exhibit, so you could see what it looked like from the outside.  If we’re going to alter his work of art, for aesthetic and politically correct purposes, then maybe we should also go back and make the Mona Lisa hotter?!  Maybe we should pierce her nose and put a tattoo on her ass?


We can certainly remove the offensive word from future copies, so some teachers will be more comfortable teaching it, but why?  The “n-word” has become the salutation of choice AMONG young blacks, especially in the NYC area.  You can’t tell me I’m wrong, I hear it on the train platform every day amongst students commuting to and from high school or college.  But go ahead, change the book, change history, and guard the soft malleable masses from the reality of our nations past.  I will continue to listen to stories told by adolescent blacks and enjoy the incredulous chorus-like response of the story tellers surrounding friends – “damn n’gga!!!” 


Following suit with that sort of profanity and hearing the word “asshole” on CBS during prime-time television is insulting to me and my 3 children under 8 too.  Fortunately modern programming gives me an entire host of other (sports) channels I can turn to, NEVER to return to one of the major thieving networks again.  Brain ON, prime-time profanity OFF.  It’s a very simple concept.


I’m afraid you won’t be able to draw illustrations as you were in the past either.  Two illustrations (below) include rebel flags were ordered to be REMOVED from the Elmont Fire Department in Long Island.  Those cartoon-like pictures were found offensive by one firefighter and a handful of people in the community that Engine Company 3 protects with their flesh, blood, and courage. 


My points are twofold here.  First, they are only illustrations.  They are an artist’s interpretation of Engine Company 3’s nickname.  It gives them a persona.  When they go to fight fires, I would imagine their adrenaline begins to go haywire and they can get behind the rebel image and get into character.  I know firefighters.  I know how they think and behave.


The skeleton firefighter (below) wearing a rebel bandana is painted on the side of the truck; the firefighter on the right is wearing rebel flag shorts and can be found on a small painting on the firehouse wall.  Wake up call.  It is 2011; the books on slavery, even on segregation are FIRMLY closed. What’s the big deal?

Secondly, if the Elmont Fire Department, long known as the “Runnin’ Rebels” were such a bad bunch of guys, then why did they volunteer for a public service that puts them in danger in order save lives by design?  If my house were burning, God forbid with someone trapped inside, I would much rather a runnin’ rebel with fire in his eyes, a fire hose over his shoulder, and a confederate bandana around his neck show up than a civil rights leader in a pressed suit with a bucket of salt.  Different situations call for different measures.



You better be careful if you are a songwriter and trying to creatively capture a moment in history.  The Dire Straits tune “Money For Nothing” was banned in the country of Canada.  Know why?  Because ONE GUY called up the Lord of Canadian Airwaves and said he was upset by guess which verse? 


See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup
Yeah buddy that's his own hair
That little faggot got his own jet airplane
That little faggot he's a millionaire


I don’t use the word anymore either because it is derogatory to the gay community.  I certainly wouldn’t sing those lyrics in front of friends who are gay.  I have no objection to it being in a song though…BECAUSE IT’S A SELF DEPRECATING SONG!!  If you read that dreadfully offensive verse in context, you will learn that Dire Straits thinks those benefitting from fanfare is the utter JOKE.  Confused that they’ve achieved fame and wealth playing guitar and drums while others slaves away at more productive and actually useful blue collar jobs.  While they’re at it, they happen to be using that generation’s terminology, which didn’t always have a sexual connotation.  It just meant weak and that’s all Dire Straits is saying.

 
Well, Elton John is out of the closet, there are gay characters all over main stream entertainment, and they’re ALL welcomed with open arms by sensible North Americans so I don’t see why they need to ban a Dire Straits song for any other reason than it is one song by a great band that happens to suck.
 


 
I think everyone needs to take a page out of Ricky Gervais book.  He caught holy hell for being funny, original, and telling it like it is at the Golden Globe Awards.  Luckily he’s a MASTER of the IF/THEN statement and everyone on this continent should respect how expression of ideas and FREE SPEECH actually work.


IF you are offended, THEN I don’t care.
- Ricky Gervais